Monday, April 22, 2013

Beauty Review: Burt's Bees skincare line

YAY!  Beauty product review!

I have been searching for a good, effective skincare line that won't break the bank.  I will rant and rave about Dermalogica.  That line is awesome!  AWESOME!!  As awesome as I think that line is, it's still high up on the bank breaker scale.  A rule of thumb for me, I like to recommend lines like Dermalogica and while I was in school I really liked Elemis (an all natural line).  Problem is, not everyone can drop $32 on facial cleanser alone.  

I like to tell those people that they should do a product/ingredient line up.  Basically, take your favorite cleanser/moisturizer/toner/whatever, and check out the ingredients.  They'll be listed in order from highest concentration to least (i.e. water is the biggest component in the deep cleanising cream, followed by sunflower seed oil and so on until the ingredient with the least amount in the product).  I also like to add that every girl should have a skin care and cosmetics ingredient dictionary.  That little book is AMAZING!  Nothing like knowing whats going onto and into your skin.  Its also a great way to figure out what all those multi-syllable words mean, and what purpose they serve.  Anyways, you'll want to take your empty or dwindling product and start doing a match up.  Find a product that has more or less of the same ingredients in more or less the same order but for a more affordable price.  That was my game plan.  I liked the Elemis line a lot, but with a strict budget, it was out of the question to buy more. 

So while on my hunt, I came across the Burt's Bees skin care line.  I was looking for a line that was all natural, free of parabens, and affordable but still very effective.  Burt's Bees met all those guidelines.  I was skeptical at first so I started small and bought some of the basics (cleanser, exfoliant, and toner) and decided I would go from there.  I bought the Soap Bark and Chamomile deep cleansing cream, the Peach and Willow bark deep pore scrub and lastly the Rosewater toner.  Here's my two cents!!!

Soap Bark & Chamomile deep cleansing cream  $8

First, this isn't a foaming cleanser.  It's thick like a lotion.  Second, the back of the bottle says that its has a "hint of menthol"...whoa.  I like the cleanser.  It smells great and it leaves my face looking great!  The menthol is the only kicker.  It is strong!!  Like, makes your eyes sting.  The menthol does have a great effect though.  It gives the skin one hell of a glow and I love that tingly clean feeling.  All in all, it did what I wanted, but I plan on trying a different cleanser from this line :)


Peach & Willow deep pore scrub  $8
Of the three products I bought, this is my favorite.  The scrub has nice sized chunks of peach stone, which is great for sensitive skin (the more fine the scrub, the more scrubbing it does).  It's not too abrasive and still manages to get all that skin sloughed off.  My favorite ingredient is the bladderwrack extract.  Bladderwrack extract is nourishing, revitalizing, and stimulating to the skin and protects skin against irritation.  Excuse the pun, but this scrub is the bee's knees!


Rosewater Toner  $11
The most expensive of the three (and I use that term loosely).  This was another surprising buy!  It smells amazing.  It's great for sensitive or aged skin.  Toner, for the most part is pretty general.  They all perform the same function.  Sometimes the added extras that get put into them can be irritating to the skin or even overbearing the senses. Its hard to find in stores, so I ordered mine online FYI.  


Okay, so I did enjoy everything I bought.  I've been using these for just over a month and I have seen a wonderful difference in my skin.  It held its own against my more pricey stuff and I plan on buying the lines SPF moisturizer once my old favorite can no longer be scrapped off the sides of the jar.  I have also gotten some great reviews from friends about the lines eye cream.  I'm really eager to try those 2 products and judging by how much I have liked the items I do own, I don't see myself being let down.

Hope you found these reviews helpful!  

Hugs til later!
Domesticated1022 <3

P.S.  I forgot to link the Burt's Bees website so you could check out their full line and read some of the reviews for yourself!  Enjoy!!

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/face-care/




No comments:

Post a Comment